Friday, February 27, 2015

Ceramics at Washington Technology

It's official. I am the Ceramics Instructor at Washington Technology Magnet School! After discovering the kiln room tucked behind a classroom now filled with computers, the site coordinator and I declared it our mission to resurrect the equipment piled to the ceiling. It took some blood, (I smashed my finger between the slab rolling table and the kiln door) and a lot of sweat (I alone dragged around the entire contents of that room), but eventually I was able to access the buried kilns and fire them up. They turned on and worked their magic as hoped. So I ordered 500 pounds of clay, some new glaze, and a stroke of luck. The next Monday I got a classroom full of kids eager to get their hands on some of that clay.

But all that seems like ancient history now as the quarter keeps rolling speedily along. My students are moving into their forth hand-built project while simultaneously learning how to throw pots on the wheel.

When I look back to the first day it is hard to believe the progress that has been made. Some of these teens had never worked with clay before. So I keep watching them and listening to what works and what they find harder than I anticipated. This is an enrichment class for them which means it should enrich their lives, not cause frustration. I am working on getting them to relax and enjoy the work, not fight it. I believe computers are all fine and great and necessary, but can never replace the satisfaction one can get through tactile experiences. I want these kids to have both, to have it all. And with Ceramics having been added to the school's curriculum, I think they now do.