Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Unique Character

The process of mastering something is endless. There is always another level of understanding. With pottery, the first several layers deal with technical skills. It takes countless hours at the wheel to get anything that is well made. And then there is beauty. Why does that one mug grab my attention more than the others on the shelf? Even though we work toward perfection, I think the actual answer to this question is that a pot is best when it is perfectly imperfect

I often think of the Muslim practice to deliberately create a flaw in their prayer rugs to avoid becoming too proud. But, what if they didn't? Besides ensuring humility, I think it adds interest and dimension to the rug. That touch of asymmetry, that one place that subtly catches the eye draws you in. I think it makes the rug more beautiful. 

A machine can make incredibly precise pieces. A tea cup made in a factory is exactly round, impeccably glazed, and without a single blemish. But it is missing something. The mark of the human's hand. I think as we strive for perfection in our work, it is possible to also miss the point. The energy and attention that goes into a hand-made item gives it a richness that is unique.

I am reminded of this on hand-made items I have purchased that have read something along these lines; "It is precisely the inconsistencies in the hand-woven yarn that gives this product it's unique character." Yes, it is.