Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Brush with Greatness

I was given a great opportunity last week. I met with Front Avenue Pottery's master potter, Mary Jo Schmith. She had offered me her time to help me in my process, so I gladly took her up on it. Her wealth of knowledge is tremendous, her pots expertly crafted, and she is friendly and fun to boot.

I headed to her studio with a box of my pots for her to critique. I listened and observed, soaking up all that she was willing to offer. She recommended some tools and demonstrated her approach to decorating. She was patient and kind to me, clarifying the barrage of questions I directed at her. I came home with notes and notes of solid advice and a wish list for my own studio.

Next stop, Continental Clay for some new toys. The most exciting purchase I made was a new Shimpo banding wheel. It will make waxing and decorating go much more smoothly. It's hard to believe I've survived without one all this time. I picked up some new brushes too and more glaze supplies. I feel energized and inspired to try some different techniques. 

This week, I threw some test tiles and whipped up a few experimental glazes. I've been sketching various designs and brush strokes out on paper. Hereupon I'll be firing up the kiln, testing out these ideas on bisqueware, and adding more color to my journey.