Thursday, March 31, 2016

Custom Stoneware Tile Installation Takes Shape

I have been installing the custom tiles in their new home and am happy to report they've found themselves to be quite comfortable there. It was both exciting and a relief to see the design taking shape. Making sure the tiles will fit in their given space is a bit tricky since the shrinkage rate varies from 15-18%. So to allow for this, I made a few extra pieces of differing widths.


I laid out the tiles and prepped the area. Then I slapped some mortar up on the wall. Diving in with the mortar is a sort of free-fall experience, but there's no other way to do it. Piece by piece, like putting together a puzzle, I installed the mural backsplash. (The white spacers keep the tiles from sliding around until they set.) With that installed, I started on the row of hand painted design tiles mixed in with the plain tiles along the entire countertop. Factory made tiles are all identical which makes installation a breeze, but the handmade nature of custom tiles requires some patient manipulation. Then the mortar needs to harden before you can start in with the grout, so I cleaned up and headed home.

Grouting seals the gaps and bonds the tiles together and keeps moisture from getting in. I chose a light sandy tone to blend in with the countertops, but many colors are available and changes the overall affect. The installation process involves pressing the grout in with a float, letting it set while keeping everything wiped down, and finally smoothing it out. For a final touch and added protection, I added some caulk. And that was that.

The sun is rising over the hills this morning as the rooster crows in a newly tiled kitchen.