Monday, October 24, 2011

Custom Orders

Another wonderful weekend spent hanging out in Lowertown St. Paul!

In addition to selling my pots at the Art Crawl, (and meeting a continuous flow of great people), I returned to my studio with a scattering of special requests. Do I make dinner plate sets? Yes. Can I make a bunch of tea cups in the twilight blue glaze? Yes. Will I personalize a set of mugs with specific designs for a wedding gift? Yes. There are countless ways to individualize a piece of pottery. All one has to do is ask. The more information I have on a specific shape, glaze or motif that grabs a person, the more sure I am the piece will be enjoyed. And that is what it is about.

Your pottery should fit nicely in your hand. It should hold your ideal amount of beverage or food. The overall shape and color should make you smile. The design elements should speak to you. I can not have every option already made, but crafting it is simply a matter of time. There is a deep pleasure in holding your very own customized pot. It is something worth pondering.

I have a kiln full of some of these orders. They will have to be glazed and then fired again. As long as each step goes as planned, I will have satisfied the requests. Then, onto others. It brings me joy to throw pots, and especially these, knowing the hands they will be placed into are anticipating these very pieces.